Oct 2, 2009

More Birds of the UQ Lakes

I still haven't seen any real marsupials since I've been here (except those asshole possums) so I've had to be content with all the colourful/weird looking birds. Luckily, there are a lot of those on campus. Most of them congregate around the UQ lakes.


The orange faced one is a dusky moorhen, the one with the white is a eurasian coot, and the other two are some kind of duck (real specific, I know).




These funny looking things are guineafowl.


The white bird is a cattle egret and the black billed one is an Australian white ibis. The ibises are all over campus. They look pretty and exotic, but they lose some of their charm when you see one with a beak covered in salsa because it has been picking through the trash.


I really like these guys, the purple swamphen. I really like the birds that have that kind of colourful megabeak.






The last 3 are photos of the little corella. These guys form huge flocks and sit around in trees beaking off to people down below. They're the peanut gallery of the UQ lakes.

12 comments:

  1. Very nice...keep the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patrick, love the Corella, and The Ibis, you are so lucky all this exotic birds.Will email or try Skype after we get your Sweetie on the plane. love June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love looking at birds that can't fly at me and steal my sandwich...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying all of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone happen to know the specific type of guinea fowl that is shown in the picture above?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know they're a species native to West Africa, because the Australia Zoo has the same kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! I've been trying to figure out the names of the ducks!!!

    If you ever figure out what the brown and white ducks are called, post it up please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally, I've found what those mutant turkey chickens are called, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that the brown ducks are called 'white eyed' ducks or 'Hardheads'. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

All the images, text, videos, sounds, emotions, and flavours on this page belong to me unless otherwise noted. If you reproduce or sell the aforementioned without crediting me and/or giving me a cut, my vengeance will be visited on you and your progeny to the 7th generation. Seriously.

Many thanks to my friend Mike for the webhosting.